Saturday, July 3, 2010

A new quote from a book I am reading called "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews..."Seeds of depression cannot take root in a grateful heart." I LOVE this! So many times I have battled depression, and I know of so many friends and family members that are battling this now.

A very wise spiritual counselor that God placed in my life, once pointed out to me that depression is a form of idolatry. You may be thinking WHAT?! But it makes perfect sense...when you are depressed where is your focus? It's all about you...how bad you feel, will this sadness ever go away?, I just wish I could be my old self...and so on. You get so consumed you lose your focus. You begin to idolize the "depression".

Our focus should always be on God. I know it's so much easier said than done, but trust me...when you start to seek Him (even in your depression) He hears you. Fully surrender yourself to Him in your moments of sadness and depression. He will change your heart. One of the ways we can "refocus" our thoughts is to keep a grateful heart! Begin there...thank Him for what you have, ask Him to show you more of the things and ways He has blessed you!

I am asking Him right now, to remind me of this very thing the next time I feel a hint of depression trying to sneak its way back in. Keep my heart grateful God...

No comments: